Monday, February 17, 2014

Opposition in all things, but the Lord always comes out on top!

Yes yes more snow.  Yippy-kie-A!  When will it stop?  I have heard
from two other people that it is to snow again this week.  Not as
much.  Don't get me wrong, I love the snow but I hate winter because
of the cold and as much as I love missionary work, a break inside is
nice but for the whole day and with a comp I don't necessarily
communicate the best with, not so great.  There truly is opposition in
all things, isn't there?

Femi is progressing wonderfully!  He was at church again and took
notes.  The subject matter in Gospel Principles was about Eternal
Marriage.  Our ward mission leader, who teaches the class, said that
Femi had a look on his face that let him know he was deep in thought
and a "what does this mean for me?" kind of a deal.  On Saturday, in
the Jenson's home again, we taught the Restoration and had a big focus
on the priesthood.  Sister Sagers invited him to be baptized (which
she really didn't want to but... I won't get into that) and he is
hesitant.  We knew this already because he brought it up with Brother
Jenson before and he told us.  Femi has been baptized before.  In his
search for truth and trying out different religions, they have
accepted his baptism as sufficient.  We know that this is a big of of
faith and commitment to anyone.  We also know that in order for God's
acknowledgment in this step of faith, it needs to be performed by one
holding the authority and power of God, the priesthood.  Femi
understood this and he accepts our commitment for him to pray about
what he needs to do.  Also in our lesson, I asked Femi what prophets
are to him.  I was blow away by his answer!  He said, "They do not
bend.  They are straightforward."  He continued to talk about them and
I knew that he knew that what he was saying was true.  He also read
several chapters in the Book of Mormon and he understood it perfectly!
 He summarized it for us. Awesome!  After the lesson, another family
came over, the Kwans.  Brother Kwans is huge into ping pong/ table
tennis and we found out that Femi is too!  We had dinner together,
Panera Bread- yummmmm!  We wanted to play ping pong for a little
afterwards but our talking at dinner went long and we had to go.  At
dinner, Femi told us a short history of Nigeria and the meaning of his
name.  His full name is Oluwafemi Adedeji, first name meaning God
loves you (so Femi alone is loves you) and his last name means king/
crowned twice.  His daughter's name is Princess.  They thought about
naming their son Prince but I guess Prince does not stand alone as a
name and so his name is Johnson.  His wife's native tribe name is... I
don't know but she goes by Rebecca, from the Bible. So neat!  I know
the importance of names and I am happy to where the two greatest names
ever on my badge- Hanson and Jesus Christ!

We dropped Daniel this week.  I have been feeling this need for a
while and after our Zone Conference on Friday, we felt the drive more;
to be bold and direct.  This drop may drive him to change more.
Although he loves having us over and reads from the Book of Mormon all
the time, he will not come to church.  He started opening up the the
idea about a month ago and then a few weeks ago was more open to doing
a church tour but then said no. At around this same time for a push
for him to come to church, we met one of his friends that lives in the
same apartment complex. He sat in on one lesson last week and was so
excited to come to church. He came yesterday and loved it! We talked
to him later last night on the phone to ask him what he thought about
church and if he had questions and what his favorite part was and
explain the sacrament better. Then he, Bobby, told us that he had been
talking to his friend, Daniel, about how church went today. Daniel
vocalized a couple more concerns about church with Bobby than he had
to us. (He has told us he doesn't like crowds, his body aches, and he
worships just fine alone without the hypocrite in the world. Bobby
found out another two, he doesn't have church clothes and he is self
conscious about his weight.) Bobby is a great friend and told Daniel
they could go together to GoodWill and find church clothes and that he
would sit with Daniel just the two of them on a bench or chair so that
there is plenty of room. We also told Bobby that if they couldn't find
any clothes to let us know Daniel's size and we would ask around and
that we would go early a reserve seats for them. I know people have
concerns In a variety of ways. It is so important that we find them
out. I hope and pray that Daniel will be more desires to come to
church, take that leap of faith, and progress more to binding himself
to Christ.

Highlight of my week---- Zone Conference and I saw both Sister Clark
and Sister Shaia!!  It was such a happy and joyous reunion!  Then
later that day I got a letter from Sister Bettilyon!!  Couldn't get
much better but it did.  In her letter said said she has been
diagnosed and it is taxable and she will be back in 5 to 6 weeks!  She
also put a Cinderella Valentine in.  She said she saw these and
thought of me and knew she had to buy them and send one to me.  I've
got my people trained well, don't I?  Hahaha!

I love you all so much!!  Keep being member missionaries!!
Sister Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment