Last week of June craziness- that is exactly what I said this morning
too! A year ago yesterday was the Hastening the Work of Salvation
Broadcast!!
We had our last exchanges of the transfer this week. I went to
Woodstown for the day and I didn't enjoy it all too much and I missed
Vineland! The best part about serving there was serving in the
library. I did, however, make me miss reading fiction books.
I missed some really exciting stuff while I was on exchanges too. Sad.
Evelyn Stretch, the mom, with their lesson this week they asked about
piercings and tattoos. Evelyn has (had) a nose ring and she said, "So
I guess that means (as she pulls out her nose ring) that I don't need
this anymore" and threw it in the trash! Man I wish I had been there!
Sister Beames also committed a new investigator to be baptized and as
she cries she said, "yes I will and my son will too." Her son was
sitting in another room hahaha. We will invite him in to join next
time so he can decide for himself.
Sunday was really special. Not only was it ward conference and our
stake President is Vaia Sikahema, but the Stretch family was confirmed
in sacrament meeting. Tristan during the week asked if Noah would
confirm him. Noah is a handicap son of the Bishop and such a
sweetheart. Sister Beames and I were so excited to ask Noah if he
would. When we called and asked, Noah said, "Really? That is so big.
Yes I will." We found out later on in the meeting that this was
Noah's first time being asked to so this and that this would be a
pivotal point in his life. I wish you could have all witnessed this
family. I couldn't stop smiling!!
Stake President- Vaiangina Sikahema- I learned this a few weeks ago;
he played on the BYU football team and onto the Eagels and is
currently a sports commentator in Philadelphia and everyone in the
Philly area knows him!
We are beginning to see a greater difference in an investigator,
Danny. He is harassed by his neighbor and that seems to consume his
life. He doesn't read very well and he may be bipolar (?). But this
week, we decided to break things down even smaller with him by reading
a few squares or a page of the children's Book of Mormon with him.
Also, when he came to church last Sunday, he was given a Book of
Mormon schedule for reading it in 90 days by our Gospel Principles
teacher. Now since h can't read well, Sisters before gave him them on
tape and he gives excuses for not listening to them just as those that
can read do. But, at the beginning if the week when we went over, he
said 'I have finished both sides of this tape. Where is that on the
schedule?' So we checked off the days he had read for ad he was
excited and told us he had started the next tape already. He came to
church again yesterday, which is surprisingly awesome! You see, last
Sunday we had to wake him up by calling over and over again. His
phone ran out of minutes this week so we gave him an alarm clock to
get him up. We went over before ward council around 8:20 and knocked
and knocked and yelled his name. Nothing. We figured he was still
sleeping and we were sad. So we figured we would tell his ride not to
go get him. Arriving at church, we see Danny! His ride had picked
him up already and he was there! Wow! During the week he had also
vocalized to us that he wishes he had stayed for the baptism last week
to see what they are like. The Elder have a baptism next Sunday and
we invited him to that. We hope he comes!
Neat experience this week!! We were at the library teaching Danny and
we had Vickie with us. (Vickie is an investigator scheduled to be
baptized and we couldn't get any other female member to come with us
but we needed someone. All in all, everything worked out as it
should- the timing, the place, and the people.) After we taught, we
stood outside and just talked. Vickie calls out to this fellow. They
know each other and he comes over and talks to us. Near the end of
the conversation, we invited him to meet with us and learn more and he
says yes and we got a new investigator. (We met him again Saturday
and will again tonight.) We never would have has this happen if it
wasn't for Vickie and the library. He even said if he didn't know
Vickie, he would have looked at us funny kept walking. I am excited
to see changes in his life! Man, I would be missing out on a lot if I
weren't on a mission. Small world here in Millville because this new
investigator, Frank Smith, knows our recent convert, William Harris.
Both Vickie and William will be joining us for our lesson tonight.
But seriously, people in Millville stay in Millville! So everyone
knows everyone! I am grateful to have moved around. But know I am
seeing the fruits of everyone knowing everyone because missionary work
spreads. Thus, there are pluses to both.
Another highlight of the week was the you Gumballs for God Fireside.
Sister Beames and her previous companion, Sister Earl, started this
thing where the young men and women got Gumballs for different
missionary acts, Young men vs Young women vs leaders. Leaders lost.
Second young women and the winners: the young men! As a reward, we
had this special fireside where Brother and Sister Carr from the
Philadelphia Temple site came. It was great! Then we had some of the
youth bear their testimonies and share their experiences and that was
the best part. The worst part... I had to play the piano. We asked
almost 10 different people to play and they couldn't. Accepella was
an option but Sister Beames said just the right hand from me would be
great. Great..... Well for part of the time I tried left hand as well
because it sounds better with both... Unless you mess up over and
over. Brother Carr came up to me and said, "You wish you had stayed
in it like your mom wanted, right?" "Right." "Does she know that?"
Well, now she does. Stay in piano Braydon! I promise it will pay off
and you will be asked to give that service on your mission. Cameron
and Sean, it's not too late to learn!
I opened my year package this week. Thanks mom! Disney stickers- you
know me so well! Also, on all of my exchanges, I have asked the
Sisters I go with what their favorite Disney movie or Princess is and
then on my letter I give to them at the end, voila- favorite Disney
sticker on there! The turtle story is so cute! Did it come with the
necklace or did you out them together?
This week I started reading President Eyring's General Conference talk
titles, "The Priesthood Man" and he mentions the Philadelphia
Phillies!!
Also, with my studies this week, Hymns have come to my mind and we
sing those Hymns before our companionship studies. Weird, right? But
cool!!
I love you all!!
Sister Hanson
No comments:
Post a Comment