We had 2 Exchanges this week. For our first one, Sister Asi joined me in Vineland! Name served with me in the soup kitchen. I think that was neat for her because her previous companion had done it with me last transfer and now she got to do it and see what it is all about. I saw an article is week on Facebook about President Uchtdorf and his wife serving in a soup kitchen! So neat!
Then our next exchange was with the Cherry Hill 1st ward sisters. I went there with Sister Baluyot. One lesson that really stood out to me was seeing a lady who was several days into the Stop Smoking Program. Their Bishop and his wife came. As we got talking, we discovered the Bishop, as a convert, did the same exact Stop Smoking Program! The Sisters didn't even know he had! He was meant to be there. I think she needed the extra strength and knowledge to know that someone went through what she is and succeeded. Even though Jesus Christ experienced it all and overcame, it is helpful to have a friend with you by your side. That may not always be the case, though. Always rely on Christ. He will be constant. "Don't rely on the arm of flesh."
This week we texted a former investigator, Wakeysa. She had responded on one of my "Meet the Mormons" posts that I tagged her in. She said how she wanted us to come by again. When we texted her, we told her we got her Facebook message and wanted to know what she was doing the following day. We got a response that asked who it was. I figured, "dang, she deleted us from her contacts." We told her and invited her to church. A response came that she didn't have money. We figured that was okay, you don't need money for church. We discovered a few days later, on Thursday, that we in fact we're not texting Wakeysa. We were talking. To another fellow! I figured, sweet! What a cool way to find someone new! All in all, he is not interested in us coming by but I thought it was neat nonetheless. Also way creepy about this story. We searched his phone number on Facebook and he popped up. With just the first name he gave us, we did not have sufficient information to find him. Please be careful what you put online!
We connected with another investigator this week that we haven't seen in a while, Josephine. Brother Wray is her foot doctor! Both Vickie and William know her! She goes to our former investigator, Danny's, church. Small world! I tell you, almost everyone in Millville knows each other. If members would just open their mouths more, I believe we would be teaching more. In time.
We have two new investigators this week, Lance and Georgette. Lance is the boyfriend of a member and he is so cool! I missed his first lesson because of exchanges, but it went really well. He has come to church 3 Sundays in a row. He was been looking for a church for while but sees them as hypocritical. One day his coworker opened up to him about the Mormon Church. Then he started dating a member. We are gaining more trust with him and this member family. He took off work early to come to the Trunk or Treat this week!
I have learned from my own past not to join the church for someone else! I will try my best to make sure he knows that for himself and so that he is accountable for himself and his own choices.
Georgette is a media referral, she requested a free Bible. She gave us some tips for making fried chicken! It reminded me of the movie "The Help". She has a hard time understanding the role of prophets.
I know the lessons we teach from Preach My Gospel are inspired! The order they are placed in and the simplicity. If one doesn't understand that God loves them, how will they trust anything from Him? If they do not understand or know about prophets, how can one accept Joseph Smith as a prophet? I remember when I was first learning the order of the lessons, I thought the Plan of Salvation should come first. It relates to everyone and is an easier footing than the Restoration! Now I am all for the Restoration being first. First, it is our unique message to the world. That is what separates us from every single other church out there. Secondly, if they do not accept that message, they will not accept anything else and we know they are not ready off the bat. Thirdly, it is so much easier to teach the Plan of Salvation using the Book of Mormon. How can we use scriptures from the Book of Mormon if we have not even taught them about the book or where is came from?
I know the Book of Mormon is true! It is a brother to the Bible. For me, the Book of Mormon makes things clearer for me. It is simple and easy to understand if and only if you have an open heart and willing mind. Will everyone post something about the Book of Mormon this week on Facebook?
President Anderson has asked all of us missionaries to do so. I want to include you in the invitation.
In sacrament meeting we sang "If the Savior Stood Beside Me". I had fun practicing is week and I love this song! Sister Huish played for us. After we sang, the Bishop made mention that all,of our last names are Hs!
In Sunday School, we taught about Work and Personal Responsibility. Our Relief Society lesson was on the April 2014 General Conference talk by Elder Nelson called "Let Your Faith Show". Overall they went well. The gal who asked us to teach Relief Society found out in the middle of the week that we were teaching Gospel Principles too and had to see if we were okay teaching both. We were! After all, we are teachers.
I have been thinking a lot about time lately. I once heard that 10,000 hours of practice is a requirement for one to become an expert in anything. So I figured with all this time on the mission, I will be an expert at doing missionary work. I was indeed wrong when I did some math.
Missionary Work:
8 hours, 6 days a week plus 3 hours one day a week
(Not including studies)
51 hours per week
204 hours in a month
About 2448 in a year
3672 in 18 months
------------------
With studies
10 hours, 6 days a week plus 5 hours one day a week
65 hours per week
260 hours in a month
3120 in a year
4680 hours in 18 months
------------------
With studies
3120 in a year
6240 in 2 years
Wow! That does not even come close to 10,000 hours. I will keep doing work! For the time that is here is the Lord's time.
I love you!! Go, Fight, Win. But don't fight.... Hmmmm.
Go, Serve, Win!
Sister Hanson
Also, ps, thanks for the homecoming pictures! Sean you look great!
No comments:
Post a Comment