Monday, October 13, 2014

Meet a Mormon

Hi, my name is Shaelyn. But for 18 months as a Mormon Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- day Saints, I go by the name Sister Hanson.  I can be a little crazy, but can't we all?  
One of my favorite parts about being a missionary is meeting so many people!  They come from all walks of life.  I have seen rich to homeless, sad to happy.  Everyone has a story.  I can feel the love God has for them and that allows me to love them too!  He loves them more and He loved them first.  I know that we are all children of God, princesses and princes.  I was just talking with Evelyn Stretch, a recent convert,  this week about the expansion of both our families because of the church!  Some people think this church is a little crazy too, I like to think of it as peculiar- and yes we sure are!  I know that anyone with an open heart will feel the love of God expand.
Another part I love about being a missionary is being able to share my testimony, every day and more than I ever have before!
I can't believe it has only dawned on me, at the wrap up, that I have a physical sign of being set apart from the world- my name tag.  Never again will I get this automatic visual set apart.  I need to take advantage of it!
I hope another physical set apart (or maybe not so physical) is the light of Christ.
I am a part of the best mission ever: go Pennsylvania Philadelphia Mission!!
Firm. Undaunted. Obedient. Teach. Trust. PPM.
"Look into me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Today also marks the one week anniversary of one of the hardest and best lessons that I've ever been a part of. Best in the manner that I feel I am getting more bold.  Hardest because it is so hard to be bold, especially when you are upset and need to be calm and loving.  Every so often, missionaries may have to have a DTR or 'drop talk' with people they've been helping teach. Usually because the person doesn't understand why we are there or they aren't keeping commitments or aren't progressing if you want to call it that. So, we went to this lesson, knowing what we needed to say and do to see how to best help this person. From the start, we were straight up saying it how it was and asking what this individual's expectations were. To say it nicely, he was confused and semi defensive. To everything we had to say, he wanted to argue or really just question everything we said or taught. Yet, claimed to be open to learning. When he said that we worship Joseph Smith, I raised my voice and told him that he then did not understand anything that we had said, nor what he had heard at all five sessions of General Conference!  Agr Barg when people say that!  Sister Hyatt called him out and asked that he at least look at her in the eye when speaking. As the moments wore on, it was clear that he didn't want to learn and the spirit was leaving the room quickly. When that happens, the only thing that makes sense is to testify and leave. (And then show forth afterwards an increase of love as it says in Doctrine and Covenants 121; something we are working on.) So, we testified. You know, that kind of firm conviction and even-tone of voice to just say what's up. Followed by silence. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ makes sense. You can't refute it if you are honestly seeking.


Zone Conference on Tuesday
To our great surprise, we had the pleasure of previewing Meet the Mormons!  A.) we were the first zones in the mission to watch it.  B.) the premier (red carpet/ famous Mormon 'celebrities' viewing) was Tuesday night and we saw it before the premier! Haha Tuesday morning. We saw it before the Osmonds, David Archuleta, Elder Holland, Elder Bednar, Mitt Romney, some of the individuals interviewed in the movie that came, and many more.
It came out to some theaters on October 10th!  We thought the closest one here would be Washington DC but President Anderson said there is supposed to be one theater in Philadelphia to play it!  Awaiting to hear when!

Because of Zone Conference, we swapped our service day at the Soup Kitchen to Wednesday.  It was pretty good.  Better than last time because we were stuck washing chairs in the back of the cafeteria.  This time was washing trays, where at least we are getting face time with other volunteers in the kitchen.  Usually we are helping dish out food... 
After soup kitchen, we went to see Tracy, a new investigator.  We aren't entirely sure how to go out her teaching.  She is so hungry and excited for our message but we think she is an alcoholic.  We have a few ideas, but we shall see. Tomorrow we see her again but I will be gone on exchanges; hopefully we get some new direction!

We usually eat lunch at the soup kitchen, but they ran out of food this time.  Oh well!  We decided to go to a restaurant on our bucket list, Friendly's.... But the one in Bridgeton is closed down!  We decided to go to a nearby "Joe's Pizza and Subs" place.  It was yummy and the two guys working were Italian.  They spoke in Italian back and forth to each other.  Before we left, the owner chatted a bit with us.  Telling us a it about himself, asking a little about us, and although he said when had no time for religion, he said his cousin needs it (the other worker in the back).  He wasn't interested either.  They gave us a small discount and he said come again and he would give us a discount.  Hahaha!

Ever heard of or tried Nair before?  Well Vickie gave us some and we finally decided to give it a try, bucket list.  It stinks!  Literally, the aroma is horrid!  I kinda sorta worked.  I prefer shaving.

We taught Seminary on Friday morning!  So great!  The youth are amazing.  Our lesson was based on Doctrine and Covenants 13 and parts of Joseph Smith History, the Restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood.
First, devotional.  They do them based on scripture masteries and the gal did Doctrine and Covenants 6:36 "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."  She probably did it because it was short but we were SO glad she chose that one!  It is part of our missionary theme for the year and we recite it every morning! Great start!
Next, they did a few scripture chases.  We won one!
Then our lesson.  We focused on personal application: greater appreciation for the sacrament, worthy to hold it, and influencing the young men for good.  We used a few quotes from General Conference, including one from President Eyring's talk in the Priesthood session.

Exchanges with the Landis Sisters
I had my most exotic food yet!  I know I just recently mentioned one in my email a few weeks ago (spaghetti tacos) but this trumps it for sure!  They were speaking Spanish and so I had no idea what they were saying.  Sister Reyes goes over to the pot and laughs.  The wheels don't click at all.  Then when they set out the tacos on the table, Sister Reyes wants a picture with it.  I am all "what?  Why?  Hasn't she had tacos and Spanish food before."  Then I figured she just wanted to show Sister Aguilar, her companion, what she missed.  Then she insisted that I get a picture too- okay....
After I finished my first small taco.  They gave us each four small one on our plate.  Then the little boy says "man it would be so great if Sister Aguilar was here." "Shhhh!" They said.  Hmmmm.... Wheels start turning.  They all look at me and then look away.  Silence.  The dad says, "are you all keeping something from me?" 
They distract my thoughts by asking me about the sauces. 
I has to be about what I am eating!  What am I eating?  I try not to think about it.  I am a missionary and need to eat it.  Besides, it wasn't bad.
What am I eating?
I get to my last one and I think everything is safe because everyone, including Sister Reyes, gets another one.  She looks at my plate, then my face, then eats.
Yep, totally what I am eating.  Why didn't I ask what we were having? Minh well, maybe it's a good thing I don't know.
As soon as I finish, they ask if I want to know what I ate.  I told them that I don't know if I want to know.  They laugh and then tell Sister Reyes to tell me in the car.  But then the little boy wants to tell me and I tell him okay.  Then everyone else says no, no, no.  Someone asks if I liked it and I say yes.  Then the boy says "it was Skunk." Oh interesting.
Then the dad says no it wasn't.  It was steak.
Man pulling my leg and so confused!  Is this how it feels like to be a poor Greenie in another country?  Finally they told me.
Cow tongue. Or in other words: Tacos de lengua.
But I had had steak too.  Every other one was steak.  They had thought up this whole plan to trick Sister Aguilar.  Sister Reyes has had it before and has been requesting it but Sister Aguilar hates it- she has never tried it before and they were trying to prove her wrong.

Saturday, a couple from our Ward here went to the DC temple to be sealed!  Carli and Edward Santiago, with their son, Ryan.  Carli is pregnant with twins and is due in about a month and a half.  That must've been a long day!  Carli's family (the Place's) are members and in our Ward. Edward was baptized about a year ago.  We have dinner at the Place's home every other Thursday, switching off with the Elders.
Anyway, I love Carli.  She tries to put on a tough person act but she is tender.  She let Sister Hyatt and I feel the babies hiccuping yesterday during Relief Society.  Strange but just goes to show her love!  It was great.

Testimony meeting was so great.  Last month William had made a deal with Sister Hyatt that if she got up then he would.  Well time ran out last month and he didn't go up.  We have been reminding every so often and he got up.  He is such a sweet guy!  Tender heart and trying so hard to do his best.  He encouraged Sister Cook and I to go up.  We did.  Sister Cook said how great of an example William is to her and that he wants to put on a tough show but he is really sweet, especially when you see him around his grandson.  He inspired some other to get up too.

Yesterday we did some planning for Relief Society Activity this coming Tuesday.  It PJS themed; prayer, journals, scriptures.  We have been asked to teach on prayer.  I am excited!

This morning we went on a walk for the last ten minutes of exercise (because that's when it is lighter out and we need to take advantage of it before day light savings).  As we were nearing the house, when we heard all this chirping.  Sister Hyatt said, "I think it's coming from that tree."  We neared the tree and the chirping stopped.  Continued walking and just a little past it, the chirping started again!  Strange.  I decided I wanted to try that again and so we turned around and just as we neared it, the chirping stopped.  Walked a little past and they started chirping again.  Turned around again to go home and the same thing happened.  We even add our interpretations: "the humans are coming!" "Shhh they are going to hear us." "I said be quiet!" "Okay they are gone." "What was that you were saying?" "They are coming again.  Hurry shhh!"

There have been talk (rumors) of Ebola.... Not that I want to know.  Just interesting talk.

Dan Tarasevich flew in this week!  It has been cool to meet him and get to know him a little bit.  Yesterday I asked if we could get a fan photo with him and he said yes.  Even though Sister Hyatt and I haven't seen Sons of Provo at all, but whatever.  Haven't gotten it yet, but I will!

How are Gas prices there?  About a month ago it raised to $3.18 or something; still cheaper than Pennsylavania.  I has been a historic drop (in our terms anyway hahaha).  All this week and I know because we took pictures: $2.99.  $2.95. $2.89.
Last we saw it was $2.87.
All this craziness in the world and inconsistency.

But among that, there is calm and consistency through our Father in Heaven and His son, Jesus Christ.
I love being a missionary!  I love being a Mormon!  It's a cool nickname, ya know!  I love being a part of the Lord's true church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- day Saints.  I love my family!  I love my Savior.
Sister Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment