Monday, October 6, 2014

Discoveries and Fun Facts

I discovered this week a few neat church CDs that the Tarasevichs own and I asked if we could borrow them and they said yes.  One of which is "Saturday's Warrior" along with "Savior of the World"  That's been a special treat this week!  We worked out to "Saturday's Warrior" this morning by teaching dance moves and cheer moves.
Fun fact: have you heard of the Sons of Provo?  The Tarasevich's son is one of them, Dan.

ZONE TRAINING!!
It was either going to be this past Thursday or this coming Thursday.  Tuesday night we found out we would be having it on the Thursday in which we would have approximately 24 hours in which to prepare for.  Oh great.  Luckily I have a great companion with creative and smart ideas.  We were told to focus on our meeting with Elder Andersen of the Seventy.  The Elders assigned us to train in Faith and Hope.  That was perfect because it went right along with what we were planning on!  We talked about 3 Keys of Failure: Disorganization, Procrastination, and Inconsistency.  Those are tricks of Satan!  Then we had them split into four groups, which the numbers for what group they'd be in was at the bottom of their chairs.  Group one discussed how faith and hope can help us with Time management.  Group two discussed how faith and hope can help us with Weaknesses.  Group three discussed Invitations.  Group Four discussed eXperimenting.  All four of these concepts can be tricks or helpful depending on how we choose to act and our faith/ hope.  We got back together and they shared what they talked about.  Then we discussed the opposite of the three failures- the 3 Keys of Success.
Now notice the four groups capitalized letters.
"Don't fall for Satan's TWIX."
T (Time management) W (Weaknesses) I (Invitations) X(eXperimenting) 
We gave them each a twix because we are cool like that, well more like Sister Hyatt because it was her idea.

At a lesson this week, Sister Stretch told us a story about their first date (a blind date).  They went to see something called "Joe's Apartment".  Supposedly a comedy but with talking cockroaches.  She hasn't seen it out on video or heard of it or anything since then. Would you mind Googling it for me?  Was it a flop or did it come out or even existed?

We have 2 special guests staying with us for a week; the Cape May Sisters, Sister Asi and Sister Jolley!  They are having some apartment problems and we are the closest Sisters to them.  Luckily the Tarasevichs are very hospitable and we have plenty of room.  One early morning while they were here, the fire alarm went off! (About 3:20) We discovered nothing wrong but it was strange and to this day I have no idea what the cause was.  Yes it was raining and maybe it was a storm thing but usually it is from the power going off and it hadn't gone off.

General Conference rocked!  So much bold sauce!  Among my favorite speakers were Elder Klebingat, Elder Robbins, Elder Holland, and Elder Bednar.  But then I always love how passionate President Eyring's is when he speaks.  I feel that he and Elder Holland were even more passionate with their topics this conference than I can ever remember from the past.  President Uchtdorf is always a favorite.  And last but surely not least, I love President Monson.  A common theme was basic principles to ensure a firm foundation.  Almost everyone bore testimony on listening to the prophets and having a living Prophet on the Earth.  I want to add my testimony to that of theirs.  I know President Thomas S. Monson is the Prophet called of God to hold all he keys of the Priesthood.  I know what he says is true.  They are words if God and I also know, as they told us, that they cannot and will not lead us astray.  But, I also know of the importance of gaining truth for ourselves.  Everything they talked about, we need to pray about and get a confirming witness that what they said is true.
Clifford Williams (a fairly new investigator) attended all 5 sessions and slept through portions!  It just so happened to be portions that Sister Hyatt and I felt were the most needful for him!  Sister Hyatt so called him out on it after the second session yesterday and he said "I was not sleeping.  I was praying.  Praying to the good Lord to help me with what they are telling me."
Mmmmmm hmmmmm....
I coughed to try to startle him awake.  One time I did it, a cute old lady shuffled through her purse to find me a cough drop.
Elder Eves sat beside him for the sessions and put his arm on the part of the pew behind Clifford when he "started to doze" and tapped his back.  Then we had dinner at the Wrays.  Danny D was supposed to come to but cancelled.  Sad.  Poor kid is going through a lot of internal conflict.
Two fun facts!  Elder Robbins came to the Stake Conference in Valley Forge several months back and he spoke AND Sister Hyatt had been there to, except I didn't know her then!  Then, Elder Andersen gave the closing prayer at one of the sessions, the same one that was just here less than a month ago!

The week ended on an even higher and greater note yesterday night when we got to meet Kylie and her family (her mom, Joelle, and her two sisters (AJ and Alyssa))!! It is kind of an odd situation.  At the beginning of my time here in Vineland, I remembered Sister Beames texting this little girl and she had moved and then I kind of forgot about her because we stopped texting and we never saw her.  About a month ago, as we were going through potential investigators in our areabook, I came across Kylie's name.  She was the girl we had texted way back when.  We started chatting with her again.  She had gotten a new phone and lost our number but wanted to chat with us.  We texted every so often.  We called and talked and prayed together.  She emailed us a few times.  Now mind you, she is 9 years old.  She didn't know her address and needed to wait to ask her mom.  Saturday she gave us her address and we went to drop off a Bible and a Book of Mormon.  It was a fun and strange visit.  To make a long story short, they are adorable and I love them all and want to adopt the three girls.  The mom is a good, very busy mom but the dad is MIA.... For whatever reason, we don't know.  The mom doesn't want to step back into a church because she breaks down whenever she had with memories of her grandpa, who has died and he was the one who took her to church.  She wants all three of her daughters baptized and on the same day so that it can be a special, spiritual celebration sisters day every year.  Where that is thoughtful and we commended her desire for them to be baptized, I told her about the age of accountability.  The youngest girls aren't old enough to be baptized.  She was not interested in waiting... Then smart Sister Hyatt told her the two youngest could receive a child's blessing on the baptism day so that it can be a special day for all of them.  She thought about that idea and liked it.  Another roadblock came up (of course) when she asked about how we are baptized.  She heard of so many different ways.  We told her do as Christ teaches and as he did, by immersion.  Right away Kylie said "No, no, no I'm not going to do it."  She explained to us that she had had ear surgery and can't get water in her ear.  Ear plugs.  She said no they fall out.  We talked her through it and that even Christ came straightway out of the water, it's fast.  I gave her the chapter in Matthew to read.  We talked a little bit more about requirements and that one was meeting with us for s series of lessons.  We set up the next one!  As we were walking to the car, Sister Hyatt said "They think we are Catholic." I looked back on our visit (I had been playing around with the two youngest from time to time) and said "oh yeah, they do, don't they?"  Sister Hyatt said "Oh well we will teach them and see what happens."
Okay I told more of the story than originally planned, but there you go!  We shall see what happens.

One of the greatest things about Sister Hyatt is her open communication.  She says it how it is.  I always enjoy getting her input, feedback, and comments after meetings and lessons.

I love you all!  I hope you have a great week!
Love, Sister Hanson
Remember to always Smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment