Her brother served in the Czech Republic and saw no baptisms but kept a good attitude. When I asked him how he got through the hard times he simply said, “It’s all about remembering the small and simple things. Making someone smile today, helping someone feel God’s love, or just being grateful to be in the moment that you’re somewhere you may never be able to be again.” He told me a little about his mission and how he got fed about once a month if that and less actives didn’t even want
them to come visit because they were tired of missionaries. But he knew he was there to at least convert one person. Himself. At a really low point in my mission he sent me this story that has helped me so much! I hope you can feel that same spirit and think about how God is refining you and helping you become better each day.
There was a group of women in a Bible study on the book of Malachi. As they were studying chapter 3 they came across verse 3 which says, "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver" (Malachi 3:3). This verse puzzled the women and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God. One of the women offered to find out about the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible study. That week the woman called up a silver smith and made an appointment to watch him work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest in silver beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver. As she watched the silver smith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in redefining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest, as to burn away all the impurities. The woman thought about God holding us in a hot spot. Then she thought again about the verse, that he sits as a refiner and purifier of silver. She asked the silver smith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined. The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eye on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left even a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed. The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silver smith, "how do you know when the silver is fully refined?"
He smiled at her and answered, "Oh, that's easy. When I see my image in it."
them to come visit because they were tired of missionaries. But he knew he was there to at least convert one person. Himself. At a really low point in my mission he sent me this story that has helped me so much! I hope you can feel that same spirit and think about how God is refining you and helping you become better each day.
There was a group of women in a Bible study on the book of Malachi. As they were studying chapter 3 they came across verse 3 which says, "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver" (Malachi 3:3). This verse puzzled the women and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God. One of the women offered to find out about the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible study. That week the woman called up a silver smith and made an appointment to watch him work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest in silver beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver. As she watched the silver smith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in redefining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest, as to burn away all the impurities. The woman thought about God holding us in a hot spot. Then she thought again about the verse, that he sits as a refiner and purifier of silver. She asked the silver smith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined. The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eye on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left even a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed. The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silver smith, "how do you know when the silver is fully refined?"
He smiled at her and answered, "Oh, that's easy. When I see my image in it."
If today you are feeling the heat of fire, remember: God has His eye on you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Have you heard of the new video initiative the church is emphasizing this Christmas season? It is called "He is the Gift". They must've had a lot of success and good feedback from the Easter one, "Because of Him" that they are pushing this again. I love it! As missionaries, we are highly encouraged to talk to at least 10 people a day about He is the Gift. President Anderson told us that individuals who get the Ensign should get 9 pass along cards of their own. Will you prayerfully hand out all 9 by Christmas? It can be to strangers or the cashier or neighbors and friends. Anyone! Let us flood this season with Christ and hopefully it will stay more year round!
I know that Christ was given to us by a perfect and loving Heavenly Father. Christ and His atonement are the best gift anyone could ever get. This gift does not break. It does not get tarnished. It is priceless! Its worth does not diminish over time. In fact, I feel the gift's worth increases over time. It has for me as I mature and learn more about my Savior. This gift is also the best gift because even as you share it, you will never lose it. Again, I feel that as we share this gift of Jesus Christ, it becomes worth something more.
First, #discoverthegift for yourself.
Then, #embracethegift in all you do, say, and think.
Finally, #sharethegift with all whom the Lord places along your path.
Our Thanksgiving was really great! In the morning, our Ward had a turkey bowl. As sisters, well... We didn't play but we did play tennis and it was so fun! Then us and the Spanish Sisters headed to Bridgeton to serve at a different Soup Kitchen than we usually serve at. I volunteered to direct people outside to where it was at. Sister Guzman, one of the Spanish Sisters, volunteered to come with me. I am so grateful she did because over half the people spoke Spanish!
Then we house hopped! Places/ Santiagos, Riveras, Vickie Corson, Sheetz/ Tarasevichs.
Lance didn't show up for our lesson or church. We have been communicating as best we can but he responds minimally. We hope he is doing okay and that Satan isn't getting the better of him.
Friday we had Mission Leadership Council and it went over better than last month. The Assistants, Elder Tarry and Elder Watt, called a couple weeks prior and asked me to role play as a less active you knows the church is true but something keeps holding her aback from coming to church. I decided to portray a sister suffering from depression and not feeling loved. We had gone on exchanges and this one lady that had this similar problem held in my mind. I wanted it to be a tough problem, not the usual Word of Wisdom or being offended excuse. They conducted is similar to the first day in the MTC where the missionaries take turns teaching me. So I had 30 some odd Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders testifying and teaching and trying to discover my concern. It was tough! But fun!
One of my goals to myself was to tell you all individually why I was grateful for you that morning.
Leonard: a leader by example and testimony
LeeAnn: warm and understanding heart
Janae: sets her mind to something and does it the best she is able
Kyle: works hard and finds a way to make it fun
Candon: best big brother anyone could ask for!
Rowen: a learner from some of the best teachers
Tiana: creative and it is still hard to believe she is a mother, great example
Scott: happy go getter
Beckett: it has been so fun to see you in pictures growing up and being an aunt more
Sean: has a tender heart underneath his tough guy
Cameron: goes the extra mile
Braydon: smiley (hard to picture him without a smile) and loving our inside sayings
I hope you all know how much I love you! I honestly do not know what I would do without anyone. You all add so much to my life and my love.
You are in my heart and prayers. I want nothing less than the best for each of you and future family to come.
President Heber J. Grant (1856–1945) said, “I have little or no fear for the boy or the girl, the young man or the young woman, who honestly and conscientiously supplicate God twice a day for the guidance of His Spirit. I am sure that when temptation comes they will have the strength to overcome it by the inspiration that shall be given to them. Supplicating the Lord for the guidance of His Spirit places around us a safeguard, and if we earnestly and honestly seek the guidance of the Spirit of the Lord, I can assure you that we will receive it” (Gospel Standards [1976], 26).
If you are not already reading the scriptures, studying them, and praying everyday, I want to testify to you of their importance. We must build ourselves strong every day. I cannot do it for you. No one else can do it for you but yourself. I know the scriptures are the word of God from His servants. The Bible and the Book of Mormon are brothers. More family! Yay! I also know that God hears our prayers. How awesome it is to be able to speak to the most powerful person we know!
Hugs and kisses all around!! XOXO
Sister Hanson
No comments:
Post a Comment