Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Field Trip....

Where do I want to go on a field trip? How about Disneyland or Europe or D.C. or Seattle, a play would be great or maybe even Snoqualmie Falls?? But honestly, schools don't ask students where they would like to go.

Today I took a field trip. One, it was for environmental class (which my whole family knows is getting to my head). Two, it was to the Waste Water Treatment Plant in Renton, WA...... wow, totally epic.

Yes, it was fun wearing a legitimate hard hat for the first time.
We toured the plant on how water from our drains and pipes from our houses go to the plant. We saw each step in getting the water cleaned up and back into a body of water. Surprisingly it did not smell as bad as I thought it would have- worst it got was about a "high tide-ish" smell. Each individual uses approximately 100 gallons of water a day. Multiply that by how many people there are- wow, tons of water!!

Then we worked in a garden. This soil is made up of human waste, regular soil, and saw dust. This seems gross, but it is all organic and is just fine for the plants. They sell some of this to farmers to use for their crops.
My favorite part:
taking pictures and seeing flowers hehehe.
Awww, I love flowers :)
Not being stuck at school was amazing too!!
So, to all who read this- I am going to help educate you. I want to do my part in helping the environment :)


First, storm drains (by the street) do not usually go to a treatment plant. They go straight to a body of water. So, don't dump gross stuff down there.
Second, scrape grease and food scraps from cooking surfaces into a container and then into trash or compost. Grease. fats, or oil should NOT go down the drain or garbage disposal. On foods such as apples, DON'T put the stickers down the drain- they don't break down. Same with wipes, even if they say flushable, my tour guide did an experiment and the wipes did not break down!! Other things that should NOT be flushed- kitty litter, feminine products, medications, cotton balls, Q-tips, diapers, band aids or its wrapper, and hair. Throw them away. I saw pictures- it gets gross.

Help save Earth :)

3 comments:

  1. GASP! Flushable wipes don't really decompose? I am ticked! The girls must use them (don't ask). I'm a deeply saddened by this and will do my part to save the earth and put those in the trash...then let Paul take that out! Wha ha ha. Great info...I feel very educated :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool that you got to wear hard hats! (They remind me of Monsters Inc.). It is hard to not put any grease down the drain as some is just stuck to the plates! (but we are good about not putting things down the drain!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look very cute in a hard-hat ;)

    ReplyDelete