I am far from being an excellent communicator but I have been thinking a lot about communication lately and so this is my food for thought on the subject; perhaps you think differently though.
 |
First and foremost is Body Language. You can tell a lot from people by the way they hold themselves. Smiles, frowns, slouching, hands on hips, holding hands, waving, etc.
This is the best way to communicate with others. Yes, people can fake certain moves but they are still telling you how to go about it with them. For example, sometimes I am having a bad day but I will put on a smile and not bring up negative things because I don't want you to know I'm having a bad day and I don't want a hug or your pitty, feeling bad for me talk. On the other hand, I may
totally exaggerate my anger so you will talk to me about it. |
Next up is Talking on the Phone. Now, if you know me, you know I do not like talking on the phone. For one, you can't see their body language, yet you can hear their tone- which is MAJOR.
I also do not like talking on the phone because if things get awakward... what do you do...? You stay on the phone in silence. OR you can fake your mom calling :)
[Thank you Alexander Graham Bell.]
The invention of the computer is really amazing. The main communication sources here are emailing, Skype, and (of course) Facebook. To me, email is like sending an immediate letter or slow text to someone. Not bad, but still not the best way to talk to someone. Skype is like texting (if just doing the IM stuff) or lamer talking in person. And Facebook.... I just won't go there right now.
 |
Writing letters!!
I don't know about you, but I love, love, love getting mail. Yeah sure it's old fashion, but fun.
Yes, you don't get the person's tone,
it's definitely not immediate, and you don't see
the person's body language. But here is the thing;
it costs money. So when someone sends you a letter, you know they cared enough to put that much effort into communicating with you. Otherwise, they could just email you all the same. |
Texting...
I think the best thing this is for, is for immediate responses; such as an emergency or making sure someone is doing okay. Texting is also okay for situations where you are unable to call and talk or if you are running around and can only talk every so often. Otherwise, texting isn't personal and is not the best way to talk to someone; it's another way for miscommunication waiting to happen. I've heard that parents will text or IM their children to tell them dinner is ready. Seriously? What a way to loose that connection.
So if you can't tell what I think are the best ways to communicate, here it is:
Talking in person
Skype
Writing Letters
Email
Phone
Facebook and/ or Texting (yes, same level)
Just plain not Communicating
Thus, I would like to improve in the way I communicate with people; help improve the world by not completely relying on technology. Don't get me wrong, they are great but the world is becoming too dependent on them.
Hehe So, I totally feel like that little girl on the phone sometimes. And talking in person tops them all!!!
ReplyDeleteHaha... I don't agree with you about the phone :) But you probably knew that when you typed it! <3 You're silly! SKYPE over LETTERS?!?!?! I'm shocked, because you can't put stickers on skype :P
ReplyDelete