Monday, May 5, 2014

If all the rain drops were lemon drops and gum drops...

...oh what a world it would be- indeed!  Especially this week!

A miracle this week- with a new investigator, Rob, the zone leaders
found last week. We went to the appointment they set up and it was a
locked apartment and he wasn't answering his phone. Our member said,
"maybe we should pray." "I'll pray!" I said. We prayed. Waited.
Talked. "Maybe we should knock hard in case someone can hear." So I
knocked really hard. Waited. Talked. Saw a guy at the top of the
stairs, he waved and we waved. He came down and lo and behold, it was
our investigator, Rob!!  He said he was in the process of moving and
needed to reschedule.  He did not accept our help, saying his
equipment was too heavy for us girls.  Ha!  Little does he know how
strong we are!  Later in the week we saw him and he hadn't moved yet.
It was probably just an excuse.  Nonetheless, when we saw him, he
asked us if we wanted to share a message right then and there with his
friend.  We did...kind of.  They we so drunk.  But, I got to practice
being bold with his friend, Paul, more than I would have on a normal
basis.  I know prayer works.  I know God can literally do anything.  I
know His hand is in this work, for it is his work.  I know He hears
every single prayer, even when it seems like he doesn't from lack so
an answer.  Just because we do not get an answer doesn't mean we
spouts sit by and wait- do something!  Make a choice first and then
see how you feel about it.  Pray differently.  Search, ponder, and
seek more earnestly.  Action precedes miracles.

In a conference call in this week, President Anderson told us to work
on our prayers.  He said we should be praying at least 30 minutes
every day, not necessarily all at one time but over the course of the
day.  This will increase desire, obedience, and peace.  It just so
happens that I had read "Importance of Prayer" from the April 1974
General Conference in my studies that morning as well.

Also, we had to take our car to the shop again because our headlight
was out and Elder Jones told us it may be from where they were working
on the bumper before.  We took it when we went down to Broomall for
Zone Training and when President Anderson found out our car was in the
shop again, I think he thought we were crazy.  One, we are.  Two,
these things have not been my fault.  I am mainly grateful that a cop
didn't pull me over and fine me.

SO. MUCH. RAIN.  This equalled flooding.  President and Sister
Anderson's basement flooded.  Roads were filled.  Detours made.  At
least there were detours or else we would not have been able to get
back to our apartment one night! I wish we had gotten pictures of some
of the places that were so full of water.

We attended the funeral of Barbara Killingsworth.  I only had the
pleasure of meeting her once with Sister Sagers.  Sister Davis and I
had been trying to get over there.  She never returned our call when
we had called but had told her visiting teacher, Sister Cook, that we
had called and Sister Cook had told us that her health was getting
worse because of cancer.  We had been meaning to check base with
Sister Cook again over the past couple of weeks, but I guess we
procrastinated too long.  I am grateful to have been able to get to
know her a little bit.  She and her oldest daughter were the only
members and we got to briefly talk to, mainly introduce ourselves to
the nonmember family and friends at the funeral.  They held it at our
church building.  The service was beautiful; full of love and
celebrating life.  Also, she is black and I told Sister Davis that I
want a black song sung at my funeral.  Maybe "Amazing Grace"!

We got to teach the Young Women on Sunday, yesterday!  We have such a
great group of youth!!  It was on the role of prophets.  The words of
past prophets in scriptures and even modern day past prophets are
great!  But the words given to us by prophets in our day are much more
needed for us to follow.  In an ever changing world, some new
commandments needed to be give in order for us to still be living in
accordance to God's laws and wills.  This does not mean God changes.
I am grateful for the words of the prophets from God so that I am not
lost in confusion and wondering what to do.  We can know!  We can be
sure!

The Kwans had us over for dinner again- such a cute and sweet Chinese
family!  They invited Femi to come too!  I really appreciated that.
He needs continued friends and support.  He is still doing well but
there is still a lot of disappointment with his family not here.  We
talked to Brother Jenson this week and he has found a lawyer to help
out!  I will leave that to them.  Femi is going to take his permit
test on Saturday and then work his way to getting a car!

We watched the CES fireside with Sister Cook last night.  I highly
encourage you to watch it!  Elder Ballard spoke on technology,
pornography, and marriage.

I love you all so much and can't wait to see you next Sunday for
Mother's Day!!!!
Love,
Sister Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment