Monday, July 28, 2014

Hermana Hanson de agradecido por su familia!

Vickie was confirmed yesterday!  She also had us over for dinner last
Monday evening and invited us over for yesterday.  Now I told her we
didn't have time, from teaching and food appointments to our splits
for the YSA rescue.  She either didn't like my answer or misunderstood
because then she called a couple hours after church wanting to know if
we were coming over for dinner... We again told her but then she
started listing off everything she made (fried chicken, mashed
potatoes, soup...) and then the time and effort to take that food....
We stopped by so briefly at 7:15pm before picking up our member to go
teaching at 7:25pm for out appointment at 7:30pm.  Just chatted and
told her we didn't have time to eat. She offered for us to take it
home and to come by after our appointment to get it. So we did.  Now
it is about 8:45, curfew is at 9. She is recooking/ heating everything
in her stove!!  Nooooooo!!  It is way too Kate to eat!!  And you
should've seen the look on her face. And then Sister Beames grabbed a
plate for us....no, no, this is what makes missionaries fat.  In the
end, I had a little bit of chicken noodle soup because even a sick
person would do that, right?  Oh Vickie.  She knows we do just fine
with food on Sundays, at least at one point she did. But she wanted to
ensure that we get a hot home cooked meal because it doesn't happen
throughout the week- then invite us during the week.  She is a goober.
This is who she is though.  She is such a giver.  Blessing and a curse
here.

We taught a lesson yesterday with John and Liz Herman, 15 year old
twins and cousin of the Helriegels.  They went to youth conference
this week and both LOVED it.  One of the best parts about church
yesterday was hearing four of the youth bear their testimonies about
youth conference.  Almost everyone's favorite part was going to the
temple and either doing baptisms for the dead or walking around the
visitor's center! I wish I could go!  Gotta love the DC temple!  Our
Stake challenged the youth to find family names too and I know the
Helriegels did!  What a neat experience!  In Ward Council yesterday,
Bishop talked to us a little bit about youth conference.  A man down
at the temple works with insurance and he said if our church was a
company, transporting so many youth and adults (150- 200 some odd
people) about 160 miles away, the liability would be too high and it
would never happen.  Then we factor in the Lord's hands.  Everything
went smoothly and was such a spiritual experience.  They even talked
about how the kids role played at the temple with the Missionaires!
So cool!  Next year they are playing to go to Palmyra.  Wow!  Such
Spirit packed conferences!  They are definitely needed for the young
people.
John and Liz are schedules for baptism August 10th but their dad has
to give permission.  Their uncle is way against the church and may be
a negative factor in their dad's approval.  We keep praying for both
of their hearts to be softened.

We had one exchange this week and I went to the new Sisters' Spanish
area!  So so fun!  So so out of a lot too.  I tried my best to
understand Spanish.  I understood parts here and there and hand
movements work great!  I prayed once in an appointment in my broken
Spanish.  We played soccer that night with the ward.  The Elders
played with the guys and we playe with the girls- the four other
little girls that were there and wanted to play.  Haha they had been
singing a High School musical song and I joined in.  They were all
"You know where that's from?!"  "Um yep, I do."  "What?  We can't
figure it out?"  Oh that's why they were so surprised.  The MTC has a
great book for helping one learn Spanish and I studied a bit from that
as well as used it to say our nightly comp prayer that night.

On Friday, we had out leadership training and council in Broomall.  It
was great, not as great as last month, but great nonetheless!  Sister
Sagers is a new Sister Training Leader and it was odd seeing her
again.  Sister Beames made a comment about how I didn't seem close to
her- man she has a difficult time with me and my other companions,
whether I like them or was just okay with them.  Plus, I feel that I
rarely ever talk about them.  Anyway... Love seeing Sister Shaia as
always!  She is currently companions with another Sister that came out
with us.  Jealous!  I want to be her comp again but I look forward to
the day when all of us who go home at the same time will go to the DC
temple to do an endowment session and tour Philly.
On the way back from Broomall, PA, the Elders pulled over to help
someone with their blow out tire.  As they helped, we talked to the
man's wife.  They are from Philly and see works a few streets over
from where the temple is being built.  Sister Beames had the temple
worker couple's business card on hand and gave it to her.  She said
she would check it out one day on her lunch break.

No comments:

Post a Comment