Monday, July 21, 2014

I know the Lord is strong. he can lift anything!

Vickie was baptized this week!  It was a little stressful, though...
Not only did we have 2 exchanges and I stayed in Vineland the whole
week and felt slightly burdened by carrying so much weight, but little
bumps in the road appeared throughout the week also.
Now that I reflect back on the week, I should've relied more on The
Lord to take a part of my load.  I didn't need to bear it 'alone' just
because Sister Beames wasn't with me.
A.) Vickie wanted to get baptized in a lake or river like Jesus did.
For the past month, we have been trying to get permission from
President Anderson and President Sikehema.  Last Saturday we talked to
President Anderson face to face and he said go ahead but don't tell
President Sikehema, because he isn't for it.  Bishop Cook was not okay
with that... But then President Sikehema has been gone all week.
President Anderson just said go for it and by the end of the week,
Bishop cook just said whatever.  It happened!  Vickienwas baptized in
Union Lake yesterday!  We held the program at the church and then
drove to the lake.  There was a good turn out, even though Vickie did
not want so many people there.
B.) Come Tuesday, as we were reviewing the baptismal interview
questions again, Vickie had concerns with prophets, Joseph Smith and
Thomas S. Monson.  We told her to pray and we would talk further at
our next appointment.  Now she already had her interview with
President Stephenson, a member of the mission presidency, for Friday
morning.  He lives in Philly and couldn't easily reschedule.  The
Elder informed us President Anderson could do her interview Wednesday
since he would be over here then.... Eeek, but with a concern like
prophets... I had to make the overarching decision that she was not
ready for an interview Wednesday and would keep the one for Friday.
Now, President Stephenson didn't seem to happy with my decision but
respected it.  Sister Beames and I fasted Thursday morning to have an
added measure of discernment for us, everything working out, and for
Vickie's testimony.  Come Friday, Sister Anderson had left her purse
at the hotel they stayed at and wanted us Sisters to go get it and
then give it to President Stephenson to give to her since he would be
down here for Vickie's interview.
All in all, everything worked out.  We were able to resolve concerns
at our next appointment with Vickie.  It was good President Stephenson
was her for Sister Anderson's purse.  :). Vickie passed her interview
and had to asked President Stephenson twice if he was serious.

The baptism was beautiful and Vickie cried during her talks and as she
finished up her testimony/ thanking everyone.  She then joined us for
dinner last night at the Tarasevich's home.

Walking inside, at the close of our day after one of our exchanges,
Sister Beames said, "Does it smell like pee to you?"  Uh... No.... She
went to the room to set her stuff down and I dashed to the bathroom to
see if I smelt anything.  Nothing.  We planned.  We started getting
ready for bed and one of Sister Beame's sheets was missing.... Did the
Sister steel it?  Sure it was polka dots and cute... But really?  Then
Sister Beames found it in her dirty clothes basket... Wet.  The
mattress was as well.  The Sister had wet the bed and didn't tell us.
We even called her and she played dumb and then pretended bad
reception and then hung up on Sister Beames.  Texted her and she
replied back, "sorry you're breaking up."  Umm... It's a text....
Poor thing.  Sure I would be embarrassed too.  But you need to tell
someone.  That's gross to not clean up.  I think anyone could've
played it up better by wanting to be nice and clean the sheets after a
stranger sleeping in it or you're period or something.  Sister
Tarasevich was very understand and concerned that the Sister may have
a urinary tract infection.  Needless to say, she bought us waterproof
sheets to put under our normal sheets now.
Oh well.  It's in the past.

I was reading this week in Alma.  I love when Ammon, in chapter 26,
gives glory to the Lord and sings His praises.  We should also!
Sister Sheri Dew, “Is it possible to be happy when life is hard? To
feel peace amid uncertainty and hope in the midst of cynicism? Is it
possible to change, to shake off old habits and become new again? Is
it possible to live with integrity and purity in a world that no
longer values the virtues that distinguish the followers of Christ?

“Yes. The answer is yes because of Jesus Christ, whose Atonement
ensures that we need not bear the burdens of mortality alone. …

“Through the years I, like you, have experienced pressures and
disappointments that would have crushed me had I not been able to draw
upon a source of wisdom and strength far greater than my own. He has
never forgotten or forsaken me, and I have come to know for myself
that Jesus is the Christ and that this is His Church. With Ammon I
say, ‘[For] who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too
much of his great power, and of his mercy … ? Behold, … I cannot say
the smallest part which I feel’ (Alma 26:16). I testify that in this,
the twilight of the dispensation of the fulness of times, when Lucifer
is working overtime to jeopardize our journey home and to separate us
from the Savior’s atoning power, the only answer for any of us is
Jesus Christ”.

I sang a couple of times this week to individuals and each time I did
so, I tried my best to bear my testimony and while doing so, praise
Jesus Christ.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Off and on, we either have plans to Book of Mormon read with those we
go to or don't know what they need and default to reading.  After
reading this quote from my readings in Alma, I felt the Spirit confirm
to me that that is something great and needful!  President Ezra Taft
Benson explained how the scriptures can be a powerful way to bless us
and answer the difficult questions of life: “Often we spend great
effort in trying to increase the activity levels in our stakes. We
work diligently to raise the percentages of those attending sacrament
meetings. We labor to get a higher percentage of our young men on
missions. We strive to improve the numbers of those marrying in the
temple. All of these are commendable efforts and important to the
growth of the kingdom. But when individual members and families
immerse themselves in the scriptures regularly and consistently, these
other areas of activity will automatically come. Testimonies will
increase. Commitment will be strengthened. Families will be fortified.
Personal revelation will flow”.

Happy birthday mommy!  I hope it's a great one!!
I love you all and have a great time with each other this week!  Boys,
don't kill each other in the car.  Be a good example to your nephews.
Hugs and kisses!!

Sister Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment