Transfer call results: I am staying. No surprise there.
No for Sister Beames, I figured from the beginning she would stay. I have never been with a companion for only one transfer. But then again, she has only been with her last two companions for one transfer. Battle of who would win. Last week, she was prepping to leave. Saying goodbyes. Taking pictures. Naturally, I started prepping for her to leave too. She is staying. Overall I am glad. I just have to formulate back in my mind that she is staying hahaha.
Tuesday we were going to see Julie and Amy Smith, investigators I have never fully sat down and taught but we usually always see me Tuesdays and something comes up for them. When I called that morning to see if we could come by, they said they were leaving for a family bar b q soon... The bar b q wasn't going to be for another 6 hours. They invited us to the bar b q but I declined because we had an appointment at that time. Sister Beames decided we should stop by and at least tell them we wanted to drop off a Fourth of July card. We did and they were him and doing tons of food prep for the bar b q. We offered to help. They said no. Invited us in and we talked. Offered to help again but in a more specific way- 'need help cutting the onions? Here, what knife should I use?' Kind of a thing. They let us help. Amy was so shocked that we were actually helping! That made me feel kind if sad but she thanked us over and over and I think she has a greater love towards us now. We asked if we could come to the bar b q while they were cooking and share a message and pray. They gladly said yes, they would be there anyway. We did and met several members of their family. We also found out that Julie and Amy's nephew is a less active member! Not only that, but he was on a list from the ward for us to find!
We went to find a referral we had received. He was sick but his wife was nice and invited us to come back next week. We gave her a Book of Mormon and I shared 2 Nephi 25:26 with her. As we were walking to the car, Sister Beames felt we should talk to neighbors a few doors down that she had waved to while walking to the referral's house. We did so and met 2 teenage boys. They were interested in a message. I said it is a message for families. "Do you want to speak with my mom?" Sure! He brought her out and we talked with her. She was also interested and set up a time to come by the following day. Now the following day she was not home. But as soon as we got back into the car, a sheriff car pulled up. They had their swat suits on. We drive up the next block (we were going to try a potential investigator on the same street) and we watch the policemen from our mirrors. They go up to the house we were just at! We keep watching and make up stories in our minds about what the story is. Nothing really happened and about 10 minutes later the policeman left. No cool action. Oh well!
On Thursday we had Zone Training, where the Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders help teach/ train. We totally procrastinated our planning because we have been keeping busy and there is so much we have and need to do and don't have the time for. Anyway, overall what we did turned out well. The best part was what we a.) had planned ahead for and b.) we didn't do. A few days prior, we chose and asked five missionaries to share their testimonies and/ or an experience where they saw the Lord's hand in their mission or how they have learned to recognize the Holy Ghost. Our topic was on Learning to Recognize the Holy Ghost from Preach my Gospel chapter 4. At our leadership training last week, that was the main focus and they always give time at the end for bearing testimonies. We decided bearing of testimonies would be an excellent way for us to be edified and enlightened together. It was.
The Elders showed a slide show of us in the past and then us in the mission. (Yes FB stalkers all around. They did this similar slide show in our leadership training as well. Good stalking though, hahaha!) This is a good reflection for all of us to take a look at who we were before coming out here and who we are now. Most of the time, we do not see a change or growth in ourselves. We hear others say it, but how can they really know? I have been having a hard time seeing any change, and more especially growth, in myself too. I took some time to write in my journal 'old me' and 'new me'.
For example, old me highly disliked teaching and the new me likes it!
Old me was blind or didn't want to know other people's lifestyles. New me now knows how much need their is in the world that I can help fulfill and with that, I love meeting new people!
Old me was at a rut in life. New me has found a new light, fire, drive, and knowledge of so much I have yet to do- so much potential ahead.
Along with lacking to see this change and growth, missionaries lack feeling successful. "As the Lord's servant, you are to do His work in His way and by His power. Some missionaries feel confident that they know who to be successful. Others lack such confidence. Remember, however, that your confidence and faith should be in Christ, not in yourself. Rely on the Spirit rather than your own talents and abilities. Trust the Spirit to guide you in every aspect of your work." (PMG 97). This goes for everyone. Sure we have talents and abilities but they are given to us by God. We are nothing without Him. I know I say this a lot, but I know this is His work. I am so blessed and grateful and privileged that He allows me to be a part of it.
I hope everyone had a great 4th of July!
In the morning we finished up weekly planning and had a couple of teaching appointments. Then we went to Pep Boys to get our oil changed and tires rotated. While waiting, I sat next to Bill. He was antsy the whole time and kept mumbling things (including reading our name tags, the news paper, and other things I couldn't understand). He walked in and out of the store, back to sit down and this time closer to where we were sitting. I knew I should say something but I had no idea what. I kept reading my scriptures in hopes that The Lord would help me in my silent plea. Then an idea came to mind. When he was no longer satisfied with the newspaper and still antsy, I pulled out my extra copy of the Book of Mormon and asked if he would like something to read. He said no, he had one already. (My after thought: I should've asked if he meant he had a BoM already but my initial thought was he had something to read already.) I kept on reading, he watched the tv and walked in and out of the store again. Before leaving, he did strike up a short conversation with us. We invited him to church and gave him our and the Elder's phone numbers, since he lives in their area. I don't know if anything will ever happen, but I opened my mouth. Even as a missionary, I get nervous and don't know what to say some times.
After Pep Boys, we went to a bar b q. Then had another lesson at the Helriegel home where they were gathered together for a small young women sleepover. One of our investigators, Elizabeth, is 14. It was so so fun! Then we went to a High School and watched fireworks with a few families from our ward. Curfew had been extended to 10, if and only if we had somewhere to be and if we would be in on time... Traffic... We were in Mormon standard time :/
Great week!
I can't believe Candon is turning three!! I hope he has a great birthday! Any plans?
I wish everyone the best this upcoming week! I love you all loads!
Sister Hanson
Us volunteering at the soup kitchen - every Tuesday
Me and Noah Cook. He is the Bishop's son and did his first confirmation to Tristan Stretch a few weeks back.
Cool street here in Millville!!



No comments:
Post a Comment