Monday, November 17, 2014

Here we go!

My new companion is Sister Steadman.  She, like me, served in Delaware and Pennsylvania.  In fact, at one point we were in the same zone in Valley Forge.  She was the only Sister Training Leader who had posted on Facebook that she was leaving and so I thought "hmmm she might be mine." And so she is.

At the soup kitchen this week, they were making macaroni and cheese for a side dish.  I look in the trash and thought "dang; it is boxed."  The boxes looked store brand and so I looked closer to see where they were from.  The brand was Desert.  Wait a minute... I pull a box out and sure enough it has the church's name on the back and talks about Bishops handing them out. We showed one of the ladies in charge.  We asked her if someone had donated them and who.  She didn't know and said they'd been in the back for a while.  I don't think it phased anyone that we belong to that church.  Whatever.  But as we continued to help prepare the food, Sister Steadman stirred the Mac and cheese and discovered bugs (ants?) in it!  Yuck!  The guy said it was only one but Sister Steadman said there was more.  Needless to say, we didn't eat it and then we felt silly connected our church to the Mac and cheese to the other volunteers.

We carpooled with the other Elders in our ward and our Zone Leaders to District Meeting.  On the way back from, Elder Mask asked us to put together a district of Disney missionaries.  Here are the results:
The District leader is Ham and his companion is.... Goofy.
The Spanish Elders are Genie and Buzz.
The first set of Sisters are Belle and Rapunzel.
Milan will be training a Golden, Violet Par.
President Anderson is Zeus and Sister Anderson is Kanga.  (Where they individually fit those characters, Zeus and Kanga being married does not go together.  Oh well, group decision.)
The service Elders are Maximus and Pegasus.

We were at the library this week trying to make some family names of William available for temple work.  He gave us another name to try to add.  Anyway, there wasn't any computers next to each other so we chose the ones closest together to keep an eye on each other.  Anyway, the lady in between us hear opus talking and trying to figure out family history stuff and we were able to tell her about familysearch.org and she logged in and we gave her the hours to the church/ family history center.  Right place.  Right time.  Right.  Especially because we had tried doing this the day before at the church and it didn't work and we needed to before the Stake Temple trip that was on Saturday.

Some people saw snow this week but we only had slush precipitation. Ah Winter!

Yesterday, an eight year old boy was baptized.  He was SO excited, more excited than I have ever seen anyone.  He was jumping and dancing and kept vocalizing how excited he was.  Last night, we did a Slitz Blitz where members of the auxiliaries go out with us.  Our Bishopric has made it assignment to do once a month to go along with their goal of visiting every member over the next few months.  We had good success yesterday. I'm think more wards should do this!

Lance came to church again and afterwards, we asked him if he had prayed about being baptized.  He said he feels right about it and had a great experience in Priesthood.  We were going to go through a game plan with him at our lesson this past week for his baptism but the setting was not ideal.  It has to be done this week!  We gave a written out Game Plan to Joell and Kylie this week.  A game plan consists of writing down all the lessons we are to teach and ways for them to be converted (daily reading and praying, knowing the scriptures are true, regular attendance at church, and so forth).
I have only ever written this out once before for Femi.  It is such a good idea and I wish I had done it more.  For me, I think it allows us to be on the same page as each other.
Keysha wants to be baptized!  We gave her a list of questions to pray about and ask this week: if the Book of Mormon is true, if Joseph Smith is a Prophet, if what we are telling her is true, and when to be baptized.

I have three main goals for this transfer: to introduce Sister Steadman to everyone I have met here (or at least carried on a conversation with), throw one thing away a day, and keep up my journaling (new journal for my dreams because of Sister Hyatt and my regular one).  I will also be keeping up with my study of the Atonement.  One of my favorite quote I have found is, "If you feel unclean, unloved, unhappy, unworthy, or unwhole, remember “all that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.”"  I share it with so many people!  I so enjoy seeing the power of the Atonement in the lives of the people I get to work with.  Just as, or more, important is seeing the Atonement at work within me.
At one point or another, we all will feel unloved and unworthy or unhappy.  But the Atonement is infinite and eternal.  Jesus Christ has covered everything.  We need to take the steps necessary to allow Him to cover us.  He cannot and will not force Himself on us.

"Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly; And you will be singing as the days go by."  One thing I am grateful for this week is music.  I love music!  It cheers people up!  It is one way to instantly invite the Spirit.  It had come up this week that listening to music (especially at a young age or in the womb) helps people be smarter.  It is still a goal and part of my personal missionary purpose to sing in at least one lesson every week.  Now that may not seem like a lot, but some times we just don't have time in a lesson or we forget or something.  It isn't usually hard to get one song in but two stretches us.

Sending my love, 
<3 span="">
Sister Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment