Monday, November 10, 2014

Where are you Anchored?

This week has been a total go, go, go!  Thus, it has been good and I think the best way to go for Sister Hyatt.  On that note, it has been sad and hard to see her leave.  I understand her denial phase because it truly hasn't hit me yet that she is gone.  I am with Sister Maughan today.  She came out with me and was in my MTC district.  It just seems like we are on exchanges!  On Friday, when her companion and Sister Hyatt went to the DC temple, we were on exchanges.  She came to Vineland but today I am in Woodstown because she is leaving, sister being doubled out and area combined with the Elders.  So, nonetheless, she needs to finish packing and wants to say her last goodbyes.  That's what I would want to do!

We had Zone Training this week and we went up North.  Wednesday night we spent the night with the Cherry Hill 1st Sisters.  Sleep over!  We changed some things up this time around.  Change is good!  A little way through the training, we split up Elders and Sisters.  Sister Hyatt and I had been contemplating certain things we needed to boldly get out on the table that hadn't been done during exchanges.  We bounced ideas off each other, prayed, went to Mission Leadership council, and then strongly felt this was the right thing to do.  And so we did.  The Zone Leaders thought it was a good idea as well.  Now, as we planned further, we wanted to skype in the Sisters from our zone as well... But the Zone Leaders there said no.  We split our Sista Talk into 4 sections: Integrity, Obedience, Health, and Personal Responsibility.  We were nervous and excited and it went over well!

When we got together as a whole group again, Sister Hyatt and I trained on the Book of Mormon.  We used the 3 Keys of Failure and the opposite, 3 Keys of Success, in teaching about the Book of Mormon.  I love getting to bare my testimony at every opportunity I can!  I know the Book of Mormon is true now more than I ever have before.  I know that that testimony has come rough reading it every day and delving deeper into it during my studies. 

I had an amazing experience with the Book of Mormon this week.  We were teaching the new family, the Lopezs.  (I can't remember if I talked about them last week.  Moved from San Diego.  She is returning and her husband was baptized just before moving here.). They are amazing!  We read 2 Nephi 2 and discussed the principles of the Plan of Salvation throughout.  Now, I have known/ believed that the Bible and the Book of Mormon need each other.  They are like brothers.  But, I think in the back of my mind I felt the Book of Mormon could stand on its own, maybe the New Testament.  After all, those are the books specifically for our time, right?  The Old Testament was for those in the past.  Nope.  The Standard Works are a big family and needed together.  For example, the story of Adam and Eve.  Let's say you have no Biblical background.  There is no way for anyone of knowing the full story of Adam and Eve just by reading the Book of Mormon, namely 2 Nephi 2. It doesn't tell us what the 2 commandments were. It doesn't tell us Eve ate the fruit first and then Adam.  It doesn't tell us they hid from God because of their nakedness.  They fill in the gaps for each other.  Now I definitely know the scriptures are all needed together.

Planning.  An eternal principle.

“Do not rely on planning every event of your life--even every important event. Stand ready to accept the Lord’s planning and the agency of others in matters that inevitably affect you. Plan, of course, but fix your planning on personal commitments that will carry you through no matter what happens. Anchor your life to eternal principles, and act upon those principles whatever the circumstances and whatever the actions of others. Then you can await the Lord’s timing and be sure of the outcome in eternity.”
Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “Timing,” Ensign, Oct. 2003, 17.

An anchor is firm and still.  Christ is my anchor. No matter what storms lie ahead, the whirlwinds and hail that Satan stirs my way, Christ will keep me safe if I stand firm with Him.  "When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed; When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost."
One thing I am grateful for this week is being able to think for myself.  Our brains are amazing.  We can hold so much information and yet sometimes information gets stored away and dusty because we forget.  Randomly, something we forgot about might pop into mind!

Yesterday was the primary program!  It was so cute!  There were so many people because we were combined with the Landis Spanish Branch.  Not many of our investigators came, which was sad.  They missed a great program.  The theme was Eternal Families.  Best theme ever, right?!
Lance was sick but he came to lunch at the Lee's.  While they prepped lunch, we read chapters 2 and 3 of first Nephi with him.  He is smart and has a good reading comprehension.  He accepted a baptismal date but from personal experience, I will have to help him know it is so vital he do this for himself and not his girlfriend.  She even told him that in our lesson, which was good of her to say.  He knows it... But does he know know it?

Wow I am not sure if I am making any sense today.  You can either nod and pretend you understand or ask for clarification.

In the end, I hope you know and understand my love for you.
I love you a million and two brown MnMs.
Brown has less artificial coloring because chocolate is already brown :)
Sister Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment